Getting hacked can be so frustrating, however, there are a lot of people out there engaging in such heinous activity. There are quite a number of ways to protect yourself from internet Hackers. It is very important to keep your privacy, information, money, and identity safe from online hackers.
One of the biggest cyber crime unveiled by Kaspersky Lab was revealed in 2015. Kaspersky was called to investigate the crime after an ATM machine was found dispensing cash randomly in Ukraine. The investigation revealed that a Russian group of hackers was responsible for the abhorrent act, stealing millions of dollars (about $650 million). The hackers were able to infiltrate banks in Europe, the US, China, and Japan. They use viruses to attack the networks of the financial institutions and also malware for the internal computer systems. The software they used was so sophisticated that it infiltrated video feeds, impersonate bankers online to transfer funds, and instruct ATM machines to dispense cash at random. These activities took place for about two years by the gang.
In order not to experience the horrifying experience of being hacked, it is wise to be security conscious. Ways to protect your device from being hacked are as follows:
- Use HTTPS when visiting a website: HTTPS, officially known as “Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure” is used to enter a website address and is similar to HTTP. Https operates by adding an extra layer of security and encryption for users online. HTTPS can determine whether or not a website is real.The information is also authenticated.
- Use antivirus protection: It is best to stay one step ahead of hackers by using an anti-virus protection. There are many genuine anti-virus services available for users. Some antivirus services are even free. As hackers attack online users infecting their system with a virus, it is very important to get an antivirus to block such threat.
- Be careful of free Wi-Fi: A lot of public places now offer free wireless access to people. Here, the WiFi is usually not password protected. One has to be extremely careful when using this service. This is an easy way for hackers to access everything on your device. Zero hacking skills is needed to monitor or hijack communications over a public WiFi network. This can be done by a simple push of a button. However, requiring a password to login to a WiFi network does not make a public hotspot more secure. A common trick used by hackers is setting up a fully functioning hotspot and naming it similar to the legitimate network. Unsuspecting users are most likely to fall victim of the rogue network instead. Everything will seem perfectly normal, you will have access to any website you want. The terrible thing is that hackers will have real time access to all your information (logins, emails, payment info, etc.). In as much as you cannot avoid using a public WiFi, avoid logging in to any banking/financial sites or making transactions that require you to enter your credit card information until you’re on a private network.
- Clear your browser history regularly: Most browsers keep records of where you have been and what you have done online including every site you have visited. This information is saved on your computer for days or weeks. It is very easy for hackers that have gained access to your system to steal record of your online activities.
- Change your password regularly: Most people are fond of using a particular password for a very long period of time. Some even use the same password for all accounts. Hackers can hack multiple accounts if those accounts have the same password. Remembering passwords at times can be difficult most especially when you change them often. There are password management services like Dashlane or PasswordBox to help store and secure passwords.
However, you don’t have to wait to be victimised by hackers before you protect yourself. If you will be getting an antivirus, get a genuine one. Moreover, it is your responsibility to secure your information, do not give out your password or write it down carelessly. There are a number of ways to protect yourself from internet hackers, regardless, negligence is the main reason people get hacked. Be responsible for your safety.